Luxembourg: Théâtre Municipal
History: From the Church to the Playhouse
The first theatre in Luxembourg was installed by the reconstruction of a Capucine’s church in 1869. The audience offered seats for about 500 spectators.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the city council commissioned an expertise on the situation of the theatre, which was done by E. Noac. After further studies, a renovation project was undertaken in 1941/1942. It served mainly to improve the safety situation.
From 1950 on, the calls for a convenient theatre became louder. The President of the Theatre Commission, Mr. Georges Reuter, took the initiative for a new theatre building as a birthday present for the millennium of the City of Luxembourg. This idea found a broad support.
In December 1958, an international competition was organised.
The Architect from Paris, Alain Bourbonnais, won the first prize.
It was inaugurated with a big ceremony on April 15, 1964.
|© 2008 Gerling + Arendt Planungsgesellschaft mbH Editor's Notes e-mail: email@example.com|